The week ended up being a lot better than it looked on paper. “The Game” was all that it was hyped up to be, and the Big Ten continued to show why they can’t contend with the big dogs of the SEC. Confusion broke out at the end of the Wisconsin game and one coach called his fan base a bunch of fair weather fans.
Check out what we learned in Week 3:
- CLOCK MANAGEMENT IS HARDER THAN IT LOOKS – The ending of the Wisconsin-Arizona St game might be one of the weirdest in recent memory, but it all could have been avoided if they would have just kicked a field goal. Instead, they decided to take a knee and center the kicker even though they had no timeouts. What ensued was so confusing that the referees had a tough time deciding if Joel Stave took a knee or not, Arizona St players dove on the ball like it was a rugby match, and the Wisconsin players didn’t know the clock would still run after a kneel down.
- REVENGE IS SWEET – Last year Johnny Football and Co. gave Bama their only loss on the season. Coach Nick Saban was making sure that didn’t happen again as the Crimson Tide offense was just too much for the Aggie defense. Manziel continued to show just how diverse he is, throwing for over 400 yards and 5 TD’s.
- KINGS OF IOWA – The Hawks finally got the Cy-Hawk trophy back to Iowa City with a win over the rival Cyclones on Saturday. Mark Weisman continues to carry the load for this team, as he leads the nation in carries and is 3rd in rushing yards. Weisman for Heisman.. Why not?
- MICHIGAN HAS GOT SOME WORK TO DO – The Wolverines followed up an impressive win over the Fighting Irish with an equally unimpressive win over the Akron Zips. Quarterback Devan Gardner threw three interceptions and the Zips almost won the game at the end of regulation. If they want to be legitimate contenders in the Big Ten this year, they’re going to have to improve in a hurry.
- BO PELINI DOESN’T LIKE NEBRASKA FANS – The Huskers blew a 21-3 lead and gave up 38 unanswered to UCLA in their loss on Saturday. The real story line though is just how much Bo Pelini had to say about Husker fans before a radio interview in 2011. Pelini’s leash just got a little shorter.
- Bo Pelini ranted about fans and media in unearthed 2011 recording (sbnation.com)
- Bo Pelini Apologizes For Profane Rant About Nebraska Fans (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Tommie Frazier: ‘It’s time for change’ at Nebraska (cbssports.com)