The NFL season started off with a bang as Peyton Manning played out of his mind and threw for an NFL record tying 7 TDs, while brother Eli manning tried to replicate that performance, only with turnovers. The Patriots survived a scare against the Bills and Andrew Luck did it again with a 4th quarter TD. After one week, here are your power rankings:
- DENVER BRONCOS – No Von Miller, no problem. An offense this explosive is going to be tough to stop. Respect Peyton Manning and his “noodle arm.”
- SAN FRANCISCO 49ers – Jim Harbaugh is thanking brother Jim for giving him Anquan Bolden to settle a childhood debt.
- SEATTLE SEAHAWKS – In the battle of two members of the NCAA All-Allegation team, Coach Pete Carroll defeated starting QB Cam Newton in a close battle.
- NEW ORLEAN SAINTS – Speaking of suspensions, Sean Payton toppled the reigning division champion Falcons in his first game back since bounty-gate.
- NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS – A win is a win, no matter how ugly. Tom Brady is showing that he doesn’t care who the receivers are, he is still going to dominate the game.
- HOUSTON TEXANS – It took a half, but the real Phillip Rivers came through and allowed the Texans to score 24 straight to escape San Diego with a win.
- GREEN BAY PACKERS – The Packers suffered a tough loss with a controversial call giving the 49ers another chance for an eventual touchdown. Either way, the defense needs to improve in a hurry or they’re going to be hard pressed to get past the NFC powerhouses.
- ATLANTA FALCONS – A tough loss to stomach against division rivals, but a game against the Rams at home will hopefully get them back on track.
- INDIANAPOLIS COLTS* – The Colts barely escaped with a win, but as long as Luck is manning the offense, they’re just fine in the fourth quarter.
- PHILADELPHIA EAGLES – Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but put me on the bandwagon. 53 plays in a half is absurd. I am excited to see this Chip Kelley offense week in and week out.
*Ultimate Homer Pick
- Serby says it’ll be Patriots hoisting Lombardi Trophy in February (nypost.com)
- NFL power rankings 2013: Arizona Cardinals at 23, 49ers at the top (revengeofthebirds.com)
- NFL power rankings: Tracking the ROTB rankings week by week (revengeofthebirds.com)